Without a doubt, Teatro Gayarre is Pamplona’s most emblematic coliseum, in addition to being one of the city’s most established buildings. Located in the heart of the city itself, today it opens up to the capital of Navarre’s second expansion district.
Initially built under the name Teatro Principal de Pamplona, it came to be known by its current name in 1903 in memory of the Roncal-native tenor Julián Gayarre. In 1931, it was moved to its current location, preserving its original façade almost in its entirety.
After undergoing various renovations, the Teatro Gayarre maintains its Italian-style horseshoe shape and 884-seat capacity between the floor, stalls, balcony, and circle. In 2005, restoration work took place in the stage area to motorise the slides and remove a series of now obsolete elements. At that same time, the gridiron was cleaned, allowing for improvements to be made so that different staging and assembly work could be carried out, as well as a series of actions that allowed for the building’s overall aesthetic to be improved. Among its most striking aspects, of particular note are the renovations to the theatre’s electrical system, heating and ventilation system, the refurbishment and updates to the fire protection system, the improvements and expansion of evacuation routes, and, perhaps most striking, the recovery of the circle and changes to the seats in this area and the balcony, which allowed the theatre’s capacity to be increased to nearly 884 seats.
In addition to providing a stage for all performance arts, the Teatro Gayarre also offers a wide range of services for all types of events.